Charlton Hotel

West Wales - Pembroke Dock

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

20 Bush Street
Pembroke Dock
SA72 6AX

Tel: (01646) 687999

Real Ale: Yes

Nearby Station: Pembroke Dock

Station Distance: 550m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Pembroke Dock) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Late Victorian red brick corner pub which retains splendid original bar fittings. One of a number of pubs built on the intersections of Pembroke Dock's Victorian grid-iron-style streets. Each had long bars for lines of drinks ready for the influx of thirsty dockyard workers when the evening hooter blew (the naval dockyard closed in 1926). A drinkers’ pub, it only reluctantly allowed females onto the premises in the 1970s when it was forced to do so by law. The small public bar at the front has an unaltered four-bay mirrored bar back and a sturdy Victorian panelled bar counter which curves on the left side. The public bar has original dado panelling, colourful patterned glass in the lower parts of four windows, and old bench seating, but the vestibule entrance is more modern. Beyond this room on the Park Street side are two rooms - first a small lounge and then a larger pool room at the rear with openings to the left and right between them. Apart from the odd colourful leaded window there are no old fittings. Even the original outside gents’ survive with their four large Twyford's Adamant urinals, but now, for comfort, they have a roof over them.

Late Victorian red brick corner pub which retains splendid original bar fittings. One of a number of pubs built on the intersections of Pembroke Dock's Victorian grid-iron-style streets. Each had long bars for lines of drinks ready for the influx of thirsty dockyard workers when the evening hooter blew (the naval dockyard closed in 1926). A drinkers’ pub, it only reluctantly allowed females onto the premises in the 1970s when it was forced to do so by law. The small public bar at the front has an unaltered four-bay mirrored bar back and a sturdy Victorian panelled bar counter which curves on the left side. The public bar has original dado panelling, colourful patterned glass in the lower parts of four windows, and old bench seating, but the vestibule entrance is more modern. Beyond this room on the Park Street side are two rooms - first a small lounge and then a larger pool room at the rear with openings to the left and right between them. Apart from the odd colourful leaded window there are no old fittings. Even the original outside gents’ survive with their four large Twyford's Adamant urinals, but now, for comfort, they have a roof over them.

Read More