A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II
Tel: (01646) 651210
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Public Transport: Near Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A fine, delightfully simple riverside pub which was in the same family hands from 1896 to 1981, hence the lack of change. The only significant one has been the cutting of an opening in the dividing wall to the former kitchen and pantry in about 1981 to expand the public bar and slightly extend the bar counter. The old part of the public bar is a delight with its quarry-tiled floor. open cast-iron fireplace, Victorian counter, and bar-back shelves held up by slender columns. Seating includes basic benches attached to a half-height panelled dado. To the rear right is a further room, which has been brought into public use in recent years.
Only the most minor of changes have been made to the unspoilt public bar of this out-of-the way pub. This fine creeper covered 18th-century house beside a tidal creek was remodelled and opened as a pub in the 1880s. Alice Davies ran it from 1961 until 1981 when she was in her 90s and the oldest licensee in the county. Maurice & Janet Cole took over in 1981 and looked after Alice Davies until she died aged 105. The Victorian public bar looks little different to when it was opened in 1880 with red and black quarry-tiled floor, open cast-iron fireplace, Victorian counter and bar back shelves held up by slender columns. Seating includes basic benches attached to a half-height panelled dado. The only change made by the Coles’ has been to cut a narrow opening in the dividing wall to the former kitchen and pantry in c.1981 to expand the public area and slightly extend the bar counter. The rear area also has a red and black quarry-tiled floor - a wood stove has recently replaced the old Aga cooker with tiled surround. Note the door with a number ‘3’ on it, which suggests it was a room used for storing alcohol (the numbering was a requirement of Customs and Excise for rooms for serving or storing alcohol). To the rear right is a further room, which has been brought into public use in recent years. It has an early 20th-century tiled and cast-iron fireplace and glass-fronted display cabinet. Gents’ accessed via passageway - the original outside gents' are still there!
Recently handpumps have been installed to replace the the most traditional of way of serving real ale – from casks on stillage behind the counter into a jug and then from the jug into your glass.