Plough

Gloucestershire & Bristol - Prestbury

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: II

Mill Street
Prestbury
GL52 3BG

OS ref: SO9701724014

Tel: (01242) 361506

Email: info@theploughprestbury.co.uk

Website http://www.theploughprestbury.co.uk/

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

View on: Whatpub

This 17th/early-18th-century thatched pub comprises two little changed rooms and an L-shaped passage. To the left is a splendid room with uneven pale-coloured flagstone floor, large stone fireplace with log fire, and tongue and groove panelling around the walls – full-height on the rear and half-height on the front – with fixed seating attached to it. A full-height partition with a door in the middle formerly divided the room but only the left-hand part remains. The quoits and an old scorer on the wall, two scrubbed tables and a grandfather clock add to the atmosphere. Service comes from the hatch at the end of the rear right-hand passage. The lounge to the right of the entrance door was last altered around 1960 when the small hatch/counter was added by creating a hole in the wall. The bar- back cabinetwork in three sections also dates from this time but the brick fireplace is a little earlier and the fixed seating is from 2003.

This thatched pub of 17th/early 18th century consists of two rooms and a L-shaped passage. It was run by Drew family from 1929 to 1958. To the left is a splendid old tap room room with a limestone-flagged floor, large stone fireplace with log fire, and tongue-and-groove panelling around the walls – full height on the rear and half height on the front – with fixed seating attached to it. A full-height partition almost splits the beamed room in two (it evidently had a door at one time), there is quoits and an old shut-the-box scorer (right of fireplace); two scrubbed tables and a grandfather clock add to the atmosphere. Service comes from the hatch at the end of the rear passage, which appears to have a frontage dating from c.1960. The beer is served from casks on stillage in the servery.

The lounge (formerly a living room) to the right of the entrance door was last altered in c.1960 when the small hatch/counter was added by creating a hole in the wall to add a bar for the first time There is some bar-back cabinetwork in three sections which all looks like it could date from c.1960. The brick fireplace dates from a similar time and the fixed seating was added in 2003. In 1980 new outside toilets were built to replace old ones (both the ladies’ now used for storage and gents’ now used to store wood for the fire are still there) and a kitchen added to the rear right. There is a large attractive garden.

Read More