A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II27 High Street
Tel: (01929) 422979
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Herston Halt
Station Distance: 1700m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Herston Halt) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
The pub rooms here were originally the public bar, rear right, and the smoke room/lounge front left. Around 1960, the present main bar was created in what was the courtyard and a further extension in the 1980s added the small area rear left. The original public bar has an old flagstone floor, dado panelling with wall benches attached and a small counter with old front and modern top. The main bar has changed little in its sixty years – the bar counter and bar-back may be older, having been moved from the public bar. The former smoke room has fitted benches attached to a panelled dado and these and the fireplace could be from the 1950s. The front-right room was the village mortuary until 1943, later becoming the licensee’s sitting room until it came into pub use in the mid-1970s.
Opened in 1743 as the Masons Arms (for the quarry workers) and changed name in 1803 to celebrate George III. Possibly two cottages joined together at some stage, but certainly unaltered basic floorplan since 1800's. A four-roomed pub of character little changed in 50 years. The original pub rooms were the Public Bar on the rear right (note the name on the door), which was served via a hatch, and the Smoke Room/Lounge on the front left which are joined by a flagstone passage. Then in c.1960 Strongs of Romsey created the present main bar in what was the courtyard; a further extension in the early 1980s added the rear left small room/area and has crude bench seating on stone bases. Present toilets date from 1980's and replace original outside ones. Front right room has been brought into pub use in recent years.
A corridor on the right leads to the original public bar, which has a genuine flagstone floor, dado panelling with wall benches attached and a small counter with old front and a modern top. The small stone fireplace looks 50s (or later?) in fact all the fittings could date from the late 1950s as the panelling is similar to that in the lounge. Wainscoting round bar area put in by Harold Figgins, landlord from 1958-1960. The window on the left hand side originally looked out to the courtyard.
A corridor on the left hand side leads on to what originally was the kitchen at the rear left hand side. There is now a main bar in the centre with a flagstone floor, bar counter and bar back shelves (some are modern), also wall bench seating all seem to date from the 1950s. (Reg Saville says bar counter and bar back date from 1930's and must have been part of the Public Bar.)
Room on the front left originally the Smoke Room can be hired out for public meetings, used as breakfast room for B&B guests, and was restaurant area in 1990's. Now additional seating area it has fitted benches attached to a panelled dado and there is a stone fireplace, both could date from the late 1950s changes.
The room on front right hand side was village mortuary until 1943 (separate front door to street now boarded up), then became licensees sitting room until mid 1970's, then pool room. Has wood beam ceiling, simple bench seating and stone fireplace.
Much information from Reg Saville (Museum curator at Langton Matravers and local historian) and Darrel Elford (licensee from 1972 - 1993 who purchased F/H from Whitbread in 1980's).