A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II50 Coinagehall Street
Thatched 18th-century pub, renowned as the only one in the UK to have continuously brewed its own beers since before CAMRA formed in 1971 (the other three then still in existence have since had non-brewing spells). From the front door, an uneven flagged passage runs through to the tiny19th-century brew-house at the rear, with rooms off on each side. The main bar is at the front right and was once two small rooms; the counter is at least fifty years old though the top is more recent and the bar-back shelves are newer still. The small bare wall benches and the half-panelling are, however, genuinely old. In the rear snug, with its ancient stone fireplace, the counter is a 1980s replacement. Left of the passage are three small rooms but the only old fitting is the inglenook fireplace in the first one. The brew-house is viewable on request
Thatched 18th- (they claim 15th-) century pub - the only one in the UK to have continuously brewed its own beer since the days of nthe fpunding of CAMRA in 1971. Then therewere only four home-brew pubs left (since then, of course, many more have sprung up). The original four remain in operation, but whilst the other three have had small periods of non-operation since 1971, the Blue Anchor has never stopped producing. An uneven passage runs from the front door and leads to the tiny early 19th-century brewhouse at the rear on two floors with the vessels on the first floor up an external stone staircase.
Historical character abounds in the arrangement of rooms either side of a central flagged passage, and in the front snug and main bar. The main bar is on the right at the front and would have been two small rooms at one time but has been like this for years. The counter is some 50 (possibly 70) years old with a top replaced in the 1980s. The bar-back shelves are no more than 30 years old. The small bare wall benches and half-height panelling are old. Note the pump clips just state Blue Anchor Spingo but some four ales are sold, all strong starting with 'Jubilee' at 1045 and the most popular 'Middle' at 1050.
The snug at the rear has a counter replaced in the early 1980s. It has a large, old stone fireplace. Left of the passage are three small rooms with the only old fitting being a stone fireplace in the first room. There is a separate skittle alley at the rear. The pub has expanded into the property next door offering accommodation and in 2005 a new restaurant was opened.