Barley Mow

Hampshire - Portsmouth

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

39 Castle Road
Portsmouth, Southsea
PO5 3DE

Tel: (023) 9282 3492

Email: barleymow_southsea@yahoo.co.uk

Website http://www.barleymowsouthsea.com/

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Station: Yes

Nearby Station: Portsmouth & Southsea

Station Distance: 1270m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Portsmouth & Southsea) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

The public bar on the right is, curiously, in a single storey flat roof part of the building. The counter could be old but is painted bright plum red, as is the dado panelling. The bar back fitting is modern. The original outside gents and ladies for the public bar remain.

The lounge bar on the left retains inter-war panelling all around the room, inter-war (or possibly 1950s) brick fireplace and an inter-war counter front (gantry and stained glass panels above are modern) The bar back fitting is a mixture of inter-war and modern work – most of the top section looks modern.

Built 1924 for Brickwoods Brewery to replace an earlier tavern of the same name and designed by A E Cogswell, though to a design not generally associated with the architect (Cogswell's builds tending to have a more elaborate exterior than that of the Barley Mow). The pub retains two traditional bars and a snug area.

The public bar on the right is, curiously, in a single storey flat roof part of the building. The counter could be old but is painted bright plum red, as is the dado panelling. The bar back fitting is modern. The original outside gents and ladies for the public bar remain.

The lounge bar on the left retains inter-war panelling all around the room, inter-war (or possibly 1950s) brick fireplace and an inter-war counter front (gantry and stained glass panels above are modern) The bar back fitting is a mixture of inter-war and modern work – most of the top section looks modern.

Off the lounge is a small snug with a wide gap access to it having lost its doors. It also retains inter-war panelled walls, there is an inter-ward panelled bar front, but an inappropriate cast iron Victorian-style fireplace which presumably replaced an inter-war brick one. The original entrance to the snug was where the bookcase is now situated i.e. you accessed it directly off the lobby. Original Crittall metal window frames throughout.

Up to c.1980 there was a circular painting on the Mock Tudor-style ceiling showing ‘The Battle of Southsea’ painted by local artist A Bryant in 1874 which was moved from the original pub. In 1980 it was removed to the City Museum, where it can still be viewed. The pub narrowly missed being damaged in 1941 when a 500 lb delayed action bomb landed in the pub cellar where customers had taken shelter. It was defused and the casing has been part of the pub’s inventory since and was lent to Portsmouth Museum for a war-time exhibition in 1981. Other information collected about the pub by licensee Judith Burr records Dr Arthur Conan Doyle giving evidence at a coroner’s inquest held at the original Barley Mow in the late 19th century.

Read More