A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedManor Hall Road
A brick Neo-Georgian pub of 1938, possibly to designs by J.L. Denman, in-house architect to the Kemp Town Brewery (taken over by Charringtons in 1954). It originally had three bars and an off-licence shop. The two bars on the Manor Hall Road side were linked in the early 1980s but retain their original counters (with a dumb waiter set between), most of the bar backs, half-panelled walls, and a fireplace on the left. The off-sales shop which operated until the 1970s is now the bar billiards area. The rear bar has its original counter, the majority of its back fitting and half-height panelled walls, but the fireplace is new. Lots of panelling in the lobby and near the toilets. The fixed seating is new but the pub retains its original internal doors and interestingly shaped windows.