A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II6 Duke Street
Tel: (01273) 326555
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Brighton (East Sussex)
Station Distance: 800m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Brighton) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
The stripy ceramic frontage, in two-tone green, brings joy to this street corner. It is a refronting of about 1910 of an early- to mid-nineteenth-century building and was the work of Brighton brewers Tamplin’s, who stamped their presence in the advertising fascia and in gold lettering in one of many original windows. Nelson’s flagship sails calmly into view in a roundel over the front door. The main front bar, with its (presumably) 1910 counter would have once been divided. It has also been opened up to the former smoke room (named in the window glass) at the rear right: this space has an ornate fireplace with columns and a mirrored overmantel. The pair of doors on the corner bear the names ‘private bar’ and ‘saloon bar’. The other two ground-floor rooms are modern extensions.
Built 1854. A highly striking tiled frontage in two-tone green tile with Tamplin’s livery and a tiled picture over the front entrance depicting Nelson’s ship. This work probably dates from an Edwardian remodelling (c.1910?) for Tamplins Brighton brewery with which no doubt gives the extensive etched, cut and painted glass in windows, the elegant sloping bar counter with sunken panels and 3 bay mirrored bar-back with 3 shelves and turned balusters, entablature and scrolled pediment to centre with modern clock - most of the top part may be modern? On the left is a good late C19 fireplace with bracketed Ionic columns supporting mantelshelf and overmantel mirror flanked by pilaster-panels with brackets over, and deep pedimented entablature. Early 20th century Lincrusta ceiling. The two sets of doors and 'Private Bar' glass show the public bar would have been two separate drinking areas originally but the partition has been removed. Look for the small pull-up section of wall for cellar deliveries.
Through a modern opening on the right is the former 'Smoke Room' as can be seen from the names on the etched, cut and painted door and window glass - it retains an old small bar counter and the plain cream-tiled fireplace could be from the inter-war period, which is the date of the toilets and match-board panelling. The embossed ceiling and frieze could be Victorian. There is an opening at the back of this into a further room being a former shop. Upstairs is a series of three small room with wide openings between them. Two have small Victorian cast-iron fireplaces. The bar in the third room is modern.