Dog & Duck

Greater London Central - London

A historic pub interior of national importance

Listed Status: II

18 Bateman Street
London, Soho
W1D 3AJ

Tel: (020) 7494 0697

Email: dogandduck@nicholsonspubs.com

Website https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/thedogandducksoholondon

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (London Charing Cross) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

A lovely small (and usually busy) pub, built as a hotel in 1897 to designs by architect Francis Chambers. The exterior has glazed brick upper floors and a carving of the eponymous fauna which appear again in a delightful but sadly mauled mosaic at the Frith Street entrance as well as in the wall tiling. Tiles are an important element in the decoration, lining the back wall of the left-hand part of the pub, and forming the dado and framing two fine advertising mirrors on the right side: interestingly neither promotes alcohol, rather cigarettes and cigars, seltzer and mineral waters (the craftsman, S. Trenner, signed his creations). Originally the pub would surely have had a division between the two very different halves and quite possibly divisions within the right-hand side. It is hard to envisage where the servery would have been: the present one, probably introduced in the postwar period, straddles one of two blocked external doorways: the superstructure on the counter is clearly reused work.

A gorgeous, small and very popular (i.e. packed) Soho pub, it was built in 1897 to designs by the architect Francis Chambers for Cannon Brewery. The exterior has glazed brick upper floors incorporating a stone carving of the animals mentioned in its name (note also the delightful mosaic of the animals at the Frith Street entrance). The ground floor has polished granite and Larvikite facings, which probably date from a 1930s makeover. The interior is also a mixture of Victorian and inter-war work – the former represented by extensive wall-tiling and a couple of large, framed advertising mirrors promoting long-vanished tobacco and mineral water products. The more restrained work of around 1930 is found in the woodwork of the left-hand part. This was also probably the time when the pub was opened up and took its present single-space layout. Its Victorian predecessor would undoubtedly have had several divisions but it is hard to work out exactly how things were. The present servery now blocks a former outside door. Brass-topped tables.

Read More