A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: B1 West Register St.
Tel: (0131) 556 4312
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Edinburgh Waverley
Station Distance: 180m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Edinburgh Waverley) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Most of the grand interior dates from the 1896 opening and is a fine example of Victorian rococo - best viewed from the gallery above the main bar. The deep-etched windows are still largely intact as is the revolving door. The ornate island counter is, though, a 1970 replacement.
Designed by Robert MacFarlane Cameron and opened in 1896 and has a grand interior with ornate colourfully painted plasterwork and very elaborate Jacobean painted ceilings with spectacular cornices and friezes, a fine example of Victorian Rococo. The splendid panelled interior is best viewed from the gallery bar/ dining room above the main bar. Most of the deep etched and frosted 'Guildford Arms' windows are still intact and there is a revolving door. The ornate island counter is a 1970 replacement for the bar against the back wall.Read More