A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: B81-85 Broughton Street
Tel: (0131) 556 9251
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Edinburgh Waverley
Station Distance: 660m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Edinburgh Waverley) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A relatively small L-shaped, single-bar pub with a luscious interior. Located in an 1804 four-storey tenement, it wraps around a florist’s shop on the street corner and has an attractive teak frontage. The interior is notable for its 1899 decorative scheme by John Forrester. The multi-coloured tiled dado includes small pictorial panels of rural Scottish scenes (sadly, mostly hidden by seating – why were they placed so low? – this must always have been a problem). The counter, ornate gantry and two tiled fireplaces (with mirrored overmantels) are all from the late Victorian scheme. As with so many historic Scottish pubs, there are advertising mirrors, in this case a massive pair proclaiming McLaughlan Bros’ wares and also, around the corner, one promoting William Younger’s India Pale Ale. Originally, the right-hand front door led to a jug and bottle, and there were a couple of snugs at the rear.
Large L-shaped, single-bar pub with a splendid interior that is but a short walk from the city centre. Situated in an 1804 four-storey tenement, it wraps around other property on a street corner and has an attractive frontage of teak. The public bar is notable for its 1899 decorative scheme by John Forrester, with colourful wall-tiling, a couple of massive mirrors advertising MacLaughlan Bros’ wares and, around the corner, a Wm Younger's mirror.
It is included on the National Inventory for the tiled dado includes small pictorial panels of rural Scottish scenes that are, sadly, mostly hidden by seating. The original bar counter and back gantry of oak are pedimented and have with mirrors and ornamental balustrades. The pub not only has two Victorian tiled fireplaces with fine mirrored overmantels but also decorative ceiling brackets and cornice. Originally, the right-hand front door led to a jug and bottle and there were a couple of snugs at the rear.