A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed121 Gallowgate
A three-storey granite building, refitted around 1960 and hardly changed since. The ground floor comprises a U-shaped room with floor to ceiling ply panelling. The counter has a panelled front and black Formica top while the gantry has a mirrored back and glass shelves. Also dating from the refit are the doors and the leatherette fixed seating in the left-hand part. The lounge is on the first floor and sports more ply panelling and a similar servery and fixed seating. In 1989, the former soap factory next door was converted to a music lounge and new ground floor toilets were installed (the lounge loos are from the 1960s). Real ale is served from a fount - a rarity these days.
Three storey granite building in the same family since 1949 that was refitted in c.1960 and is virtual unchanged since with rooms on two floors. In 1989 the former soap factory built in 1850 to the right was converted into a music (lounge) bar and at that time new toilets were installed which removed the 1960s ground floor ones.
On the ground floor there is a U-shaped room with floor to ceiling ply panelling. The servery is on the right and has a ply panelled bar front with a black Formica top that extends over the top part of the front. The gantry consists of glass shelves on a mirror back. The left hand part of the room contains leatherette fixed seating from the early 1960s and the doors are of a 1960s style.
The lounge is on the first floor and has 1960s panelled walls laid horizontally. There is a bar counter with a plain ply frontage and cream Formica top; the gantry is of glass shelves on a mirror backing and the main shelf is of Formica. There is more leatherette fixed seating and the gents’ and ladies on this floor are unchanged. This is one of few pubs still selling (one) real ale from a fount. Opens at 12 if Aberdeen are playing at home. The music lounge hosts Jazz on Thu, music most Fridays, and comedy on Sat.