Set in a private, gated road, the building dates from 1896 but what you see inside is a very substantially intact interwar refit. There are two small bars either side of a servery (public left, saloon right) and a former off-sales facing the front door. There are glazed screens standing on part of the counter on each side. There was a protracted restoration in 2017-18, the chief result of which was the creation of a dining conservatory at the rear but this does not impact on the historic front area. A private dining area for groups has been made out of an upstairs room. At the refit some very pleasing, simple interwar tables and chairs were ejected and a mish-mash of (often 'distressed') furniture installed. The door to the left-hand bar was also removed. The bench seating in both bars dates from 20917-18
A real inter-war time-warp now owned privately by James Blunt and set in a private, gated-off road close to the Chelsea football ground. It was built in 1896 as the Prince of Wales, changed its name to Bedford Arms about ten years later, and then to Fox and Pheasant in 1965. It was licensed simply as a beer house until as late as 1953.
As you enter there is a small lobby with an off-sales hatch to the servery and a door to the saloon bar (right): the door to the public bar was removed in 2017-18. Everything is quite low-key and what we see is typical of run-of-the-mill pub-fitting between the wars. The servery has glazed areas on each side, which house the spirits and glasses, etc, although the present lozenge-shaped glazing is a modern (2017/18) replacement for the previous glazing that contained rectangular panes of glass. The rear doors and windows have attractive dimpled glass with green bands. The 2017-18 work also saw the installation of the green tiled dado on the exterior, fixed bench seating in both bars, and the creation of a dining conservatory at the rear, though this latter has no adverse effect on the historic front parts. A private dining area for groups has also been made out of an upstairs room.