A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II*274 Kilburn High Road
An imposing corner-site pub of 1898 to designs by architect R.A. Lewcock. It has a light, spacious interior enriched with some spectacular decoration. Pride of place goes to the series of four copper relief panels, set in rich wooden and mirrored surrounds by designer F. A. Callcott showing 18th-century folk at leisure at the supposed predecessor of the present pub. First up we have ‘Taking the waters at Kilburn Wells’ (upside down caption, left rear). Relief from such sobriety seems at hand with painting the sign for the (newly arrived?) Black Lion, followed by ‘A call at the Black Lion’ (with some serious toping), and finally a game of bowls. There is a superbly ornate Florentine frieze and a richly decorated ceiling. Originally the main space would have been subdivided – see the names public bar, private bar and saloon above the doors externally – and there is still one screen surviving, which was moved to its present position in 2003. There is also a long, panelled bar counter (note the doors to service the beer engines in former times) and the original bar-back. The large right-hand room was originally a music room (now a restaurant). Some fine etched windows in the side elevation.
An imposing corner-site pub built in 1898 to designs by architect, R. A. Lewcock. It has a spacious, light interior enriched with some particularly spectacular and appealing decoration. Pride of place goes to the series of four copper relief panels by designer F. A. Callcott depicting eighteenth-century ladies and gents at leisure at the supposed antecedent of the present pub. They are variously pictured enjoying a game of bowls, drinking and smoking, watching the inn sign being painted, and taking the waters at Kilburn Wells, the spa that lay nearby to the south. There is a deep and superbly ornate Florentine frieze in both main rooms and also a richly decorated ceiling. When built the main space would have been much more subdivided than it is now but there is still one screen surviving: it was moved to its present position during a major refurbishment in 2003, before which it was at right-angles to the main road. Long, panelled bar counter and original bar-back. Fine etched windows on the side elevation but mostly sadly removed from the front. The large room on the right (now a restaurant) was originally a music room.Read More