A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: IIStoneleigh Road
Tel: (020) 8808 3567
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Tottenham Hale
Station Distance: 900m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Tottenham Hale) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A fine example of an unspoilt “Brewer’s Tudor” pub, dating from 1927. The public bar has fielded panelling to picture-frame height, original counter and mirrored bar back, some original benches and two cased-in dart boards; rare example of a glazed-in office behind the servery. The “Saloon Lounge” is in Baronial style complete with mock original beams, more wall panelling and splendid light fittings. A sliding screen between this room and the rear Luncheon Room has been removed but the glazing above is still there. A final room is used for darts and functions and, uniquely, was called the “Self-Service Room”.
The Beehive is a purpose-rebuilt public house of the inter-war period, dating from 1927. A fine example of an unspoilt “Brewer's Tudor” pub. The designer is not known. The old layout is complete (apart from the removal of a screen) and you can fully appreciate how such a pub was meant to appear. On the left corner doors have ‘Public’ and ‘Bar’ leaded panels in them. The Public bar has fielded panelling to picture frame height (the “wooden panelling” actually being an imitation to help create the Tudor effect). It retains its original L-shaped panelled counter, original mirrored bar back, baffles by the doors, three of the original benches and two cased-in dart boards. Until 2012 behind the servery was a glazed-in office but the glazing has been replaced by wood.
A front door has ‘Off License’ in a leaded panel and the off-sales is still intact with a small bar counter, but no longer in use. Another front door has a ‘Saloon Lounge’ in stained and leaded glass panel and through a vestibule is a spacious Baronial style right-hand room complete with mock original beams, more fielded ‘panelling’ to picture frame height and splendid light fittings. On the bar back in the lounge on the left there is some new wood and new tiles, the rest of the mirrored bar back is the original with a dumb waiter in the middle. There is a large red-brick fire surround on the rear wall i.e. in the ‘saloon lounge’ part and another at the end of the’ luncheon room’ part; The sliding screen that used to divide the Saloon Lounge (front) from the Luncheon Room (rear) has been removed but the glazing above it still remains.
In the passageway is a the door with a leaded panel ‘Self Service Room’, a rare if not unique room name (presumably linked to buffet-style food supply). It leads to a room used for darts and functions with more fielded ‘panelling’, modest skylight and a 1930s brick fireplace. Attractive brass door furniture throughout. Note that in this pub each door seems to have been numbered (up to 20 in the luncheon room) e.g. ‘14’ on Luncheon Room door to ladies toilet – something not seen in any other pub. It was standard practice to number rooms in pubs until the 1960s (as required for control purposes by Licensing Magistrates / Customs & Excise), but individual doors is another matter. A further curiosity is the fact that the ‘wooden’ panelling is nothing of the sort – feel it and tap it and you will find it is an imitation to create a Tudor effect on the sly.