Three star - A pub interior of exceptional national historic importance
Listed Status: II*26 Broadway Parade
Tel: (020) 3978 2154
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Hornsey
Station Distance: 950m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Hornsey) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A superb example of a pub from the golden age of pub building, with numerous opulent features that make it a pub to savour.
Built in 1899-1902, this pub-cum-hotel is a companion piece to the magnificent Salisbury in Green Lanes which was also built by the developer John Cathles Hill, who is said to have acted as his own architect.
The very large island servery is surrounded by a series of four spacious rooms. Original wood screens and doors separate the rooms. Each room is characterised by half-height wood panelling. Above this are friezes that reach up five feet to the ceiling, and are covered in intricate patterns of floral and geometric shapes made of Lincrusta embossed paper. Spectacular ceilings are in all rooms, designed as four-foot-square panels containing curlicues and other motifs.
The right-hand room - the Saloon Lounge, according to a 1977 floor plan – contains two alcove areas, one with a raised floor that was once used by Victorian and Edwardian performers. At the far end of this room there is now an exposed kitchen, installed in 2001 after English Heritage rather uncharacteristically granted permission for it. The 1977 floor plan shows that a stage previously occupied this area; originally it was a seating area.
Three grand entrances are still in use, the grandest of them being the main one at the corner of the pub. Its circular shape has two doors leading off it, and it boasts an impressive mosaic floor containing the initials “Q. H.”.
The attractive Art Nouveau-style stained glass windows are original. Some years ago they were removed and replaced with clear glass, but an outcry from concerned locals and others resulted in them being replaced.
Originally a complete screen separated the left-hand saloon from the smaller room at the middle-front. It was taken out in 1985 but again eagle-eyed locals ensured that it was reinstated, albeit with the Council giving permission for a small doorway to be cut into it.
Not everything is original. The woodwork in the centre of the island bar is a mock-old creation. The pot shelf all around the bar counter is also modern.
The pub featured several times in the gangster film Love, Honour and Obey (2000) but the film-makers were guilty of not making the most of the pub’s lavish interior.
Since 2020 the pub has been leased by Brunning and Price (who also run the Duke of York in Barnet and the Roebuck in Chiswick). Their lease includes an office and staff flats on the first floor. The floors above this are private and contain twelve small flats.
The grand exterior is also fine, with granite pilasters and wide arched windows around the ground floor. Above these, red brick walls contrast happily with grey stone window surrounds on the upper floors. At the corner, all floors have semicircular banks of windows, culminating in a large cupola.
The pub well deserves its Historic England status of Grade II*.
An opulent hotel-cum-pub built in 1899-1902 at the height of the great pub boom and still a fine place to eat and drink. It’s a companion piece to the magnificent Salisbury in Green Lanes, N4. Both were built by developer, John Cathles Hill who is said to have acted as his own architect. The layout is very similar to the Salisbury with a large servery in the centre surrounded by a series of rooms and compartments. There is a screen across the bar at the front. There is another screen just inside the entrance on the Elder Avenue side. On the right-hand side comes a saloon with a couple of alcoves and a spectacular decorated plaster ceiling and half-height panelling. The ceilings and deep friezes throughout the pub are immensely intricate in their decoration. There are lots of other features to admire, notably the beautiful Art Nouveau-style glass with roses and other flowers.
The bar counter is original and so is the circular entrance arrangement on the corner with a mosaic floor bearing the monogram of Mr Hill and Q for Queen’s. Unfortunately the fitting in the centre of the servery has, for some reason, been replaced with modern work. The pub also suffers from an overpowering gantry atop the counter. A refurbishment in 2001-2 was a sensitive piece of work apart from the cutting of an opening in the screen.