A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II31 Ranelagh Street
Tel: (0151) 709 1218
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Liverpool Central
Station Distance: 100m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Liverpool Central) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Built in 1887 (date on the façade - don’t be confused by the much earlier date above it!) and right next door to the Midland which also has interesting historic work. Prior to being opened up in the early 1980s this pub had five separate drinking areas but it is still very much worth a visit for one of the finest displays of Victorian glasswork to be found in any pub in the country. The least-altered parts are the two rear areas both of which also have oblong skylights. The walls are lined with glittering mirrors and other screenwork also has fine embossed glass. The glasswork between the different areas was relocated around the walls during the early 1980s remodelling. At the rear is an original partition dividing it into two parts. The right-hand side has a fine Victorian black and white marble fireplace. Also don’t miss the fine glazed dome inside the front entrance.
The façade bears two dates, 1675 and 1887, the latter indicating a Victorian rebuilding. The great tragedy is that that the pub was opened out about c.1982, prior to then this ornately decorated pub had no less than five separate bars / areas. Although opened-up, it is worth a visit for the quality of what remains - the least-altered parts being the two rear areas which have oblong skylights. All the walls are covered by one of the finest display of Victorian glasswork as can be found in any pub in the country. The walls are lined with glittering mirrors and other screenwork also has fine embossed glass. The glasswork which formed the screens between the different areas was put around the walls in c.1982. On the rear right is an original partition dividing it from the rear left area with lots of mirrors in panelling, old fixed seating and an old marble fireplace with modern Victorian-style interior. The rear left area retains original fixed seating, mirrors, and a dado of light brown and other Victorian tiling.
In the rest of the open plan pub is a Victorian semi-circular bar counter and bar-back but these replaced the original fittings in c.1982 having been imported from another pub. The original bar was ceramic-fronted one between two doors, one of which led to the public bar and the other to a lobby bar leading into the back areas. Note some tiling covered by a food bar. There is a dado tiled passageway behind behind the seating areas on the left. In the front section is a fine cupola with grapes and vines decoration and a very ornate plasterwork ceiling. Note how the partition at the front left sits awkwardly compared to the ceiling indicating it has been pre-sited. Fixed seating beyond the partition is old, but that in the front left area is modern. Fixed seating in the front right section is old but dado tiling is modern.