A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II36 Princes Street
Tel: (0161) 480 2341
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Stockport
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Stockport) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
A long, narrow pub which has changed little since its rebuilding in 1926, just before it was bought by local brewers Robinsons. The interior is simply organised and the extensive use of wall panelling is typical of inter-war pubs. To the left of the tiled and panelled entrance lobby is the vault, with plentiful panelling, although much of it was actually added as recently as about 2009 (and now covers over a fireplace). The other door from the entrance leads into a drinking lobby, which is essentially an expansion of the corridor and faces the servery. Beyond this is the delightful smoke room which, with its Tudor-style fireplace and oak panelling, has a particularly warm and comfortable atmosphere. From the central lobby one can see the unusual feature of roller shutters which can be brought down to safeguard the contents of the bar-back shelves and, above the servery entrance, a notice saying ‘waiters’ from the days when waiter service was a regular feature in north-western pubs. A small room at the back came into pub use during the 1960s.
A three-storey narrow pub re-built in 1926, just before Robinson's Brewery bought it, which retains a little altered interior consisting of a lobby bar on the right-hand side and two rooms either side of a centrally situated servery.
The small entrance lobby has a dado of tiles and fielded panelling above. On the left in a part glazed screen/partition wall is a door with a brass handle, the figure '2' on it and a rectangular overlight of etched and brilliant cut glass which leads into the small 'vault' or public bar. It retains its original oak panelling on the bar counter front and partition wall but the panels on the opposite and front walls were added in c.2009 and cover up an original fireplace. The bar back fitting is largely intact apart from the insertion of fridges but the pot shelf is modern.
From the lobby the inner door, also with a brass handle and the figure '1' on it with a rectangular overlight of etched and brilliant cut glass, leads into a corridor running the length of building. It has oak panelling throughout with a plain moulded cornice above, and is angled to widen in front of the servery on the left. Note the shelves in the front section of the corridor for stand-up drinking. A door with a figure '5' on it leads to the cellar. On the right is a ladies lavatory which retains its original white, black and orange tiling and a c.1930 illuminated sign in the corridor. Further back is an oak stair, with wall panelling to dado level, leading to the publicans private accommodation. At the far end of the corridor is a stained glass panel depicting a swan with 2 necks.
Beyond the servery on left is a door with a figure '3' on it and 'Smoke Room' brass sign above the doorway leads into a special room with a warm, comfortable atmosphere. It has a light oak draught/lobby screen as you enter and oak wall panelling all the way around the room with plain moulded cornice above. It retains its original fixed upholstered seating with bell pushes set into panelling, a stone Tudor-style fireplace and is top lit by a colourful glazed rectangular lantern.
At the rear on the left a door leads to another small room with parquet floor and an inappropriate Victorian-style tiled, cast-iron and wood surround fireplace with a gas 'coal' fire. The room was brought into pub use in the 1960s (?) and has fixed seating and lino inlaid square tables from this date, also an old chest of drawers. The original outside gents remain intact with white glazed walls and three big urinals.