Two star - A pub interior of outstanding national historic interest
Listed Status: II94 Bermondsey Wall East
Built in Neo-Tudor style in 1934 this is, despite the best efforts of developers, an especially well-preserved example of a small-scale urban pub, influenced by the improved pub movement.
The interior comprises front and back rooms that were, at a later date, connected by a corridor to the side of the servery. Both rooms are extensively panelled with light oak but in somewhat different styles. The public bar has two 'camouflaged' toilet doors with what looks like original painted signs and a fine brick fireplace with heavy lintel. The saloon bar has two fireplaces, above which are framed panels with original painted nautical scenes. The snug, on the east side, was once the off-sales, and now forms an alcove.
In 2017, developers began stripping out the interior causing significant damage to the original bar counters and bar backs. Happily, swift enforcement action was taken (the building had only just been Listed) and the owners were obliged to reinstate the serveries, using salvaged materials, which has been done very well. The pub re-opened in February 2023.
Built in Neo-Tudor style for Hoare & Co in 1934, this is an especially well-preserved example of a small-scale urban pub, influenced by the improved pub movement. It is the work of Sidney C Clark, one of the most accomplished pub architects of the inter-war period.
The interior comprises two rooms which were connected, at a later date, by a corridor to the side of the servery that resulted in the latter being shortened.
The public bar has picture-rail height slatted light oak panelling with vertical grooves and a fine brick fireplace with heavy lintel. WCs with original signage are positioned on the east side with their doors integrated into the panelling. The bar counter has a matched slatted and grooved treatment whilst a separate hatch counter is set to the east side. The bar back has a leaded mirror screen with emerald green border behind shelving on both sides. Above is a leaded glazed partition screen.
The panelling in the saloon bar is in a different (fielded) style though also to picture-rail height. There are two fireplaces, both with brick inserts with oak surrounds and overmantels; the latter integrate framed panels with original painted nautical scenes set under overhanging cornices. To the east of the counter is a snug, formerly the off-sales, which has had its partition removed. The counter itself is set on a tiled platform and has a series of recessed panels with protruding uprights set between to support the counter top.
The pub closed in 2017 and was under serious threat of redevelopment. In this light, Historic England listed the building at Grade II but on the day of notification, the owners began stripping out the interior, with significant damage done to both the counters and bar-backs. Southwark Council took rapid enforcement action, obliging the owners to reinstate the serveries, using salvaged materials, and this has been done very well. The pub re-opened in February 2023.