A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II295 Liverpool Road
A small, simple street-corner local with etched windows throughout. It was purchased by Joseph Holt’s Brewery in 1909 so the work we see today no doubt dates from shortly after this. The drinkers’ lobby/corridor is L-shaped, separating the front vault and servery from the rear two rooms. This corridor features green tilework and glazed counter screens to the servery. The small vault has two old benches and an irregularly shaped counter. Across the passage, a smoke room has original fixed benches and bell-pushes. Original tiling in the loos. A former cottage has been incorporated to create a back room out of a former kitchen, hence the impressive cast-iron fireplace.
This intact, small, street-corner local is probably late nineteenth-century but seems to have been remodelled some time after Joseph Holt's took it over in about 1910 from Wilson's Brewery. The entrance is from the side door on Eliza Ann Street; a corner door facing Liverpool road is now disused. There are several etched windows. The drinkers' lobby-corridor is L-shaped, and separates the front vault and servery from the rear two rooms. The corridor features attractive green tilework: old glazed counter screens to the servery. The small front vault has two old benches (each side of the old corner door), and an old counter of irregular shape, though the bar shelves are probably 1960s and the fireplace has gone.
Over the passage is the separate smoke room, which has retained its doorway but lost the door; there are original fixed benches and bell-pushes all around the room, but the fireplace is modern. A former cottage at the rear has been incorporated into the pub creating a small rear room, which is the former kitchen still retaining its cast-iron range fireplace. Its door has 'Private' in etched glass. Intact gents' has 3 big urinals, dado tiled walls and tiled floor.