Town Of Ramsgate

Greater London East - London

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: II

62 Wapping High Street
London, Wapping
E1W 2PN

Tel: (020) 7481 8000

Email: hello@townoframsgate.pub

Website http://townoframsgate.pub/

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: Fenchurch Street (London)

Station Distance: 1400m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Fenchurch Street (London)) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Dating from the 18th century it was subject to extensive alterations in 1937 by Hoare & Co. This three storey pub is of brown brick with a ground floor of glazed stone and claret coloured tiles on the dado. Now one long narrow room it was originally three small rooms as confirmed by the doors down the right hand side, however, the interior fittings have barely changed since 1937. The unusual name relates to the fishermen of Ramsgate who would land their catch at nearby Wapping Old Stairs to avoid river taxes at Billingsgate. Judge Jeffreys was reputedly captured at this inn.

The small front area is the oldest surviving part of the interior with its old full height panelling on the walls painted blue-grey and old panelled ceiling laid diagonally and painted cream. On the wall is a large old three-part framed mirror with impressive central etched panel entitled “Ramsgate Harbour” with narrow plain panels either side.

Dating from the 18th century it was subject to extensive alterations in 1937 by Hoare & Co. This three storey pub is of brown brick with a ground floor of glazed stone and claret coloured tiles on the dado. Now one long narrow room it was originally three small rooms as confirmed by the doors down the right hand side, however, the interior fittings have barely changed since 1937. The unusual name relates to the fishermen of Ramsgate who would land their catch at nearby Wapping Old Stairs to avoid river taxes at Billingsgate. Judge Jeffreys was reputedly captured at this inn.

The small front area is the oldest surviving part of the interior with its old full height panelling on the walls painted blue-grey and old panelled ceiling laid diagonally and painted cream. On the wall is a large old three-part framed mirror with impressive central etched panel entitled “Ramsgate Harbour” with narrow plain panels either side.

Running down the left hand side is the cream coloured inter-war bar counter with a fielded panelled front with some Art Deco features on the curved sections at the front and rear. The long bar back fitting has large mirrored sections and two protruding sections with some leaded glass. Only a few fridges have replaced part of the lower shelving – most is intact. On the right hand side the walls have fielded panelling to picture-frame height. Two short part glazed partitions have survived.

Read More