Prince Edward

Greater London North - Holloway

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

38 Parkhurst Road
Holloway
N7 0SF

Tel: (020) 7607 2369

Email: princeedwardholloway@hotmail.co.uk

Nearby Station: Drayton Park

Station Distance: 1200m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Drayton Park)

View on: Whatpub

Three-storey pub of London brick built around 1860s and refurbished around 1900 it has some polished stone on the ground floor with a curved tiled panel on the corner having the wording ‘The Prince Edward’ on a shield with some floral decoration. Situated close to Holloway women's prison.

The right hand main bar has a fine entrance doorway of three sections with the two middle doors having ‘Saloon’ and ‘Lounge’ in gold on frosted glass; also impressive ironwork ‘Prince Edward’ above the doorway. Another set of doors on the front may indicate an off-sales in the past. The bar counter has a two-sided Victorian curved panelled front (pot shelf is modern). The bar was extended to the rear in the 1960s and the colourful stained glass screenwork at the end of the servery is modern.

Three-storey pub of London brick built around 1860s and refurbished around 1900 it has some polished stone on the ground floor with a curved tiled panel on the corner having the wording ‘The Prince Edward’ on a shield with some floral decoration. Situated close to Holloway women's prison.

The right hand main bar has a fine entrance doorway of three sections with the two middle doors having ‘Saloon’ and ‘Lounge’ in gold on frosted glass; also impressive ironwork ‘Prince Edward’ above the doorway. Another set of doors on the front may indicate an off-sales in the past. The bar counter has a two-sided Victorian curved panelled front (pot shelf is modern). The bar was extended to the rear in the 1960s and the colourful stained glass screenwork at the end of the servery is modern.

The two bay island bar back fitting is Victorian with deep cut glass panels. A section added on top in c.1960 has illuminated ‘Watney's’ and ‘Prince Edward’ panels and two of a Watney's Red Barrel. The seating bays around the room date from the 1960s. Up to the 1940s there was a partition creating a separate room at the rear which has a blocked-up skylight with a frieze around it – was there a billiard table here in the past?. On the rear wall are two rare copper panels in relief – the left hand one titled “Prince Edward A Call to Arms’ and the right one “Prince Edward at the Revels” – similar panels exist at the Black Lion, Kilburn.

A rare part glazed screen which has been imported from another pub to replace a screen removed in the 1960s separates the two bars – on the left Williamson Street side with its own entrance is a smaller bar with ‘Bar’ in gold on frosted glass on the door and ‘Prince Edward’ in ironwork above. The room has old dado and some full height panelling, another Victorian panelled bar counter, and the island bar back fitting described above.

Read More