Little Driver

Greater London East - Bow

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

125 Bow Road
Bow
E3 2AN

Tel: (020) 8980 9282

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: West Ham

Station Distance: 2000m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (West Ham) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Built 1851 of brick with a polished stone dado it was refitted c.1900 and is now a single space around an almost island bar servery but four sets of doors indicate it was originally a series of rooms and possibly an off sales. Some of the partitions survived up to about 1990 but now there are only ornate short screens either side of the right hand door. The Victorian bar counter survives with a noticeable change in its detailed front on the left hand side, but has been painted a mushroom colour in recent years (top not painted). There is an island bar back where the lower shelves look old and also an ornate bar back with ornate mirrored sections including some of a rose.

Built 1851 of brick with a polished stone dado it was refitted c.1900 and is now a single space around an almost island bar servery but four sets of doors indicate it was originally a series of rooms and possibly an off sales. Some of the partitions survived up to about 1990 but now there are only ornate short screens either side of the right hand door. The Victorian bar counter survives with a noticeable change in its detailed front on the left hand side, but has been painted a mushroom colour in recent years (top not painted). There is an island bar back where the lower shelves look old and also an ornate bar back with ornate mirrored sections including some of a rose (check – possibly back painted).

At the rear left is an ornate Victorian mahogany fireplace with a carved hood and in the mantelpiece lozenge-shaped mirror with (back-painted) flowers and leaves. One pillar has an ornate capital. There is a massive ‘Hoare & Co’s Celebrated Stout’ gilded mirror on the right hand wall – Hoare & Co brewed at Lower East Smithfield, just near St Katherine's Dock and were taken over by Charrington who then went on to use the Toby Jug symbol that was originally Hoare’s.

Read More