One star - A pub interior of special national historic interest
Listed Status: II31 High Street
The building dates back to the 16th century and with some interior features from the 1930s.
There have obviously been many changes to this 16th century pub in subsequent centuries. It underwent an inter-war facelift around 1930 when the external timbering was exposed and mostly replaced. At this time the interior was much modified, introducing the canted-forward bar counters with vertical panelling, although the plain and simple bar-back fittings may be contemporary but are of fairly indeterminate date. The 1930 arrangements consisted of two separate bars at slightly different levels, divided by a screen, part of which survives; the opening of the screen took place in 1971. On the left was the saloon bar which is graced by an impressive amount of wall-panelling, which could even date back to the 17th or 18th centuries. This space also has an imposing brick fireplace of mainly c.1930, but with an 18th century brick surround, as well as a couple of bell pushes, presumably to summon table service in past times; these are incredibly rare in London.
The public bar on the right was rather more simply appointed but it also has a less grand c.1930 brick fireplace. The atmosphere of this venerable pub, although common enough in small towns and country areas, is rare for Greater London. A notable and unusual external feature is the late 18th or early 19th century gallows style horizontal beam arrangement from which to suspend the pub sign.