Two star - A pub interior of outstanding national historic interest
Listed Status: Not listed158 Hemingford Road
Tel: (020) 7607 3303
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Highbury & Islington
Station Distance: 650m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Highbury and Islington) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
The star feature of the pub is the bulbous ornate white mahogany stillion incorporating a glazed-in publican’s office with pedimented doors front and rear, and featuring carved lion's heads.
This two storey Victorian pub underwent a refurbishment in the early 20th century which provided some impressive fittings. It was built in 1855 for a Mr RJ Huntley and acquired by Meux & Co in the late 19th century. Exterior doors show that it originally consisted of four rooms; the disused corner doors still display ‘Saloon Bar’ on the glazing. Within, the partitions have long since gone. There is a spacious promontory servery with an old raked counter fronted with matchboard panelling supported by sinuous fluted uprights. The shelving in the stillion is supported by slender pillars and at each end are outsized fluted corbels. In recent times it’s been topped up with an additional level.
Partially obscured by the stillion is a rich ensemble of joinery at the rear of the servery: twin fluted pillars support a canopy with a decorative frieze which houses a clock. Sheltering beneath this is an elaborate doorway to private quarters and some shelving. There are exceptional full height vestibules with multiple etched glass panels on both the Hemingford Road and Offord Road sides of the pub. A narrow glazed screen etched with the pub’s name and a crest has been transplanted from elsewhere. Three slender columns with ornate capitals support the impressive matchboard panelled ceiling, from which a multitude of bric-a-brac dangles.The left-hand side of the pub is dignified by a Victorian cast iron fireplace.
An elegant staircase on the right-hand side leads to a function room which has a bar counter that might be old (1950s?) and a wood surround fireplace that is possibly Victorian.
Built in 1855 with quality fittings from a refurbishment in the early 20th century. Exterior doors how it was originally four rooms but the partitions have long gone. There is an almost island original bar counter attached to the rear wall with a cupboard that, unusually, opens from the top. The servery has an ornate carved mahogany island fitting with a glazed-in publican’s office in the middle with pedimented doors front and rear and carved lion's head, shelves held up by pillars, fluted corbels on both ends, and pilasters.
At the rear right of the room is an ornate entrance with now leads to the kitchen and cellar. It has cupboards on the left and right of the multi paned central door, brackets holding up a high shelf and a deep frieze at the top. There are good vestibule entrances with multiple etched panels on both the Hemingford Road and Offord Road sides, a short screen with fine 'Hemingford Arms' with a crest etched and frosted pane, and 'Saloon' and 'Bar' 1920s windows in the former corner door. Held up by pillars, two of which has ornate capitals, is a matchboard panelled ceiling with lots of artefacts hanging from it.
The upstairs function room has a bar counter that might be old (1950s?) and a wood surround fireplace that might be Victorian.