Griffin

Greater London Central - London

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: II

93 Leonard Street
London, Shoreditch
EC2A 4RD

Tel: (020) 772 9007

Email: Info@the-griffin.com

Website http://www.the-griffin.com/

Real Ale: Yes

Nearby Station: Old Street

Station Distance: 450m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Old Street)

View on: Whatpub

The Griffin we have today is actually two buildings that have been knocked into one pub. The older part stretches down Ravey Street and has some typical detailing from about 1870. The later part, on the corner, has some distinctive tiled panels and dates from c.1899. Then, between the wars, along came the brown tile refacing of all the ground-floor walls by Meux’s Brewery to promote their wares – they brewed on the site of the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road until 1921, then moved to Nine Elms where brewing ceased in 1964.

All the internal partitioning has gone but the long Victorian counter remains, as does the match-board panelling that covers the ceiling. But the feature of most interest is the seven bay back fitting behind the bar with a series of unusual, highly ornamented wooden columns with capitals picked out in gold, a number of original mirrors including ones with wording “East London Liquer Co.”; “Griffin Tavern”; “Drew & Sons Biscuits Steam Works Shadwell”; “Martell & Hennessey Brandies”. and a fancy cornice above. Fridges have replaced lower shelving.

The Griffin we have today is actually two buildings that have been knocked into one pub. The older part stretches down Ravey Street and has some typical detailing from about 1870. The later part, on the corner, has some distinctive tiled panels and dates from c.1899. Then, between the wars, along came the brown tile refacing of all the ground-floor walls by Meux’s Brewery to promote their wares – they brewed on the site of the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road until 1921, then moved to Nine Elms where brewing ceased in 1964.

All the internal partitioning has gone but the long Victorian counter remains, as does the match-board panelling that covers the ceiling. But the feature of most interest is the seven bay back fitting behind the bar with a series of unusual, highly ornamented wooden columns with capitals picked out in gold, a number of original mirrors including ones with wording “East London Liquer Co.”; “Griffin Tavern”; “Drew & Sons Biscuits Steam Works Shadwell”; “Martell & Hennessey Brandies”. and a fancy cornice above. Fridges have replaced lower shelving.

In what was previously a separate room at the rear there are three inscribed mirrors advertising “Finest Scotch Whiskies”; “Clarets of the Finest Vintage”, “Ports of the Leading Shippers” - the left one looks much older than the other two which may be later reproductions?

Thus pub closed in 2014 for conversion of the top two floors to residential which included the loss of the former function room on the first floor. The pub reopened in 2016 with most wooden surfaces painted a deep green colour.

Read More