A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II35 Lichfield Road
Tel: (01902) 733529
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Public Transport: Near Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
This simple yet highly attractive brick pub was rebuilt in 1938 and serves as a friendly community local with a good range of ales. It is a rare and intact example of a modest inter-war working-class pub which remains complete, apart from the loss of the off-sales hatch facing the front door, and the insertion of a small counter in the smoke room. The public bar on the left has a colourful terrazzo floor although carpeting laid down in 2014 covers much of it, but we have the original bar counter, seating and fireplace. The stools, both high and low, look as though they date back to 1938. On the right is a smoke room, with a wood-block floor and a further original, Tudor-style fireplace plus fixed seating with bell-pushes. A second smoke room lies at the back across the terrazzo-floored (now carpeted) hallway and has similar original features to its namesake. The toilets are scarcely altered since 1938. An unfortunate recent addition, however, has been the anachronistic Victorian-style embossed paper applied to the dadoes. Listing at Grade II in 2002 following an application by CAMRA recognised that even straightforward locals can have significant heritage value.
An unspoilt and little-altered inter-war pub with three rooms and a hallway which is now a traditional real ale pub. Designs survive from January 1937 by the architects Watkin & Maddox of Burslem, working for brewers Truman, Hanbury & Buxton. This is a rare, intact example of a simple inter-war, urban working-class pub. It opened in 1938 and remains complete apart from the loss of the off-sales hatch opposite the front door and the insertion of a tiny counter in the right-hand lounge. The public bar is on the left. A third public room lies at the back across a hallway. The importance of such a building was recognised in 2002 by its being given grade II listed status. It was built as a replacement for, and to the rear of, the original pub which was a small beerhouse.
Built in classic 1930s brick and set back from the road. The front door leads into a tiny lobby with colourful terrazzo tiled floor - originally there was an off sales hatch facing you but this was replaced by a piece of glass in the late 1990s. Original door on the left of the lobby leads into the public bar with colourful terrazzo tiled floor and the original bar counter with a bar top from 2010 which replaced a Formica one from the 1960s. The small room retains its original 1930s tiled fireplace, original fixed seating and a good blue 'Public Bar' leaded exterior window. Original door at rear leads to a hallway with colourful terrazzo tiled floor, the ladies on the left retains its terrazzo tiled floor and terrazzo dado.
Original door on the right of the lobby leads to the Smoke Room with a white on blue leaded 'Smoke Room' exterior window. It has a parquet floor, an original Tudor arch stone fireplace, and original fixed seating with bell pushes in the panel above from the days of table service. There is one small change here - service was originally from a hatch to the back of the servery but in 2004 a small bar counter was added here but done with great care by Black Country Inns. Beyond the hallway is the rear Smoke Room with original door, a baffle as you enter, original fixed seating all around the room and another Tudor shaped stone arch fireplace. The gents' retains original urinals, terrazzo tiled floor and terrazzo dado. There are more little altered rooms and toilets upstairs.