A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II1364 Pershore Road
Tel: (0121) 458 1758
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Bournville
Station Distance: 300m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Bournville) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
An excellent, largely intact inter-war pub of 1923-4, designed by prolific local pub architects, James & Lister Lea. The brick-built, asymmetrical frontage is in 17th-century domestic style with, behind, no less than five substantially intact public rooms. Central double doors lead into a lobby, with tiled dado, behind which the large public bar has a terrazzo floor, original fixed seating and oak bar counter; the original bar-back is also still there but has been painted yellow. Front left, the formerly gents-only narrow lounge contains its original fireplace and panelling, fixed seating with bell-pushes and a couple of baffles. To the rear is the assembly room with parquet floor, marble fireplace and small hatch to the servery. In the smoke room, also at the back, you'll find wall-panelling to two-thirds height and a three-sided servery may be original. Returning to the front of the building, the right-hand room also retains its old fireplace and seating. Fine tiling in the loos. The bowling green is still used.
An excellent, largely intact example of Birmingham's large inter-war pubs, in this case built in 1923-4 to designs by James & Lister Lea (probably Mr Brassington) for Mitchells & Butlers. Behind the slightly asymmetrical frontage are no less than five rooms and a very much used bowling green. New management in 2004 has led to the uncovering of the public bar and assembly room floors, restoration of the original fireplaces, and the opening of a link on the left of the public bar to the 'Gents' Only' lounge to bring the room into greater use - it was disused for many years. Unfortunately the wide openings cut in the dividing walls either side of the former off sales have been implemented rather crudely, and spoils that end of the bar.
The front main double doors lead into a lobby with an inter war tiled dado. In the centre is a large public bar with a terrazzo floor and an original light oak high bar counter. The relatively plain original light oak bar back fitting remains but it was painted yellow in 2004 to follow the current trend for modern bright colours rather than dull dark 'old' colours. The original fixed seating remains but painted white and there are baffles as you enter. There was an off sales where the present ladies toilet is on the left.
At the front on the left side is the former Gents' Only lounge with panelling, original fixed seating newly re-upholstered and two good baffles. This narrow room has a 1920s brick and good wood surround fireplace with arch shaped decoration above and a strip of panelling above the fixed seating which includes bell pushes from the days of table service. The gents here are intact with terrazzo floor, 1920s tiled wall, two urinals and sink.
Double doors at the rear lead to the Assembly Room on the left now used for dining and overlooking the rear garden. This large room has a parquet floor, fine nine sectioned ceiling, original wood surround fireplace with a modern interior, and a small hatch to the back of the servery with an old dumb waiter alongside. Note the bell pushes unusually placed in the dado panelling. At the rear there is a patio which has been covered over in recent years - on the left hand side of the garden is a six-bay curved loggia with seating, and beyond the garden is the bowling green.
Double doors lead to the rear Smoke Room with an attractive small screened three-sided servery, which has lost its lower rising panels. It retains an original counter, original fixed seating with modest baffles, wood panelling to two-thirds height with good plaster decoration above the panelling and on the ceiling, and a 1920s brick and wood surround fireplace. The gents off the rear smoke room is intact. The ladies has a carpet over the terrazzo floor and original wall tiles.
The front smoke room (now the 'Penn Lounge') on the right has a door with the figure '8' on it and original fixed seating re-upholstered with a strip of panelling above having bell pushes. This narrow room has an original brick and wood surround fireplace with a mirror in the mantelpiece above and a small counter to the side of the servery.