A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II13 Wolverhampton Road, Bloxwich
Tel: (01922) 407745
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Bloxwich
Station Distance: 306m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Bloxwich) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
Few, if any, terraced pubs have experienced as little change as the Turf, which has been owned by the same family since 1871. The simple two-storey frontage has a bay window either side of a central entrance and quarry-tiled passage. A couple of hatches to the servery line its right-hand side. The public bar has more quarry-tiling and a simple Victorian bar-back (with drawers) and counter (but 1960s Formica top) plus hand-pumps which are date-stamped 1927. There is bare seating and a couple of moveable low benches. The front left-hand room has window glass inscribed ‘Smoke Room’, ‘Wines’ and ‘Spirits’, and unusual fixed seating with padded benches divided into individual seats by arm rests. The rear left-hand room has leather-covered bench seating with baffles. The outside gents’ are worth a visit for their massive old urinals and among the other outbuildings are a malt room (part of the former home brewery) and three pig-sties. The rarity of such unaltered, modest public houses led to the Turf being Grade II listed in 1996 following a CAMRA/English Heritage study in the West Midlands.
The last truly unspoilt terraced pub left in the country which has been in the same family since 1871. The ancient board above the entrance that states the pub is licensed for 'Public Singing & Music' and the licensee is a 'Dealer in Tobacco' is an indication of what lies inside. This is a remarkable survivor of a style of pub which existed in their thousands in the mid 19th century and have now virtually disappeared. It retains its unchanged layout of a quarry-tiled and half-panelled passage with off sales hatch, public bar on the right and two small rooms on the left. The Victorian bar-back has a number of drawers in it and the mahogany bar counter has a Formica top added in the 1960s when health experts were insisting this was more hygienic. The 1927 handpumps survive. Seating consists of old bare fixed benches and a couple of basic low benches.
The small front left room has bay windows with 'Smoke Room', 'Wines' and 'Spirits' lower panes, a tiled and wood surround fireplace and unusual fixed seating consisting of leather padded benches broken up into individual seats on each side by padded arm rests. The small rear-left room has leather covered bench seating with baffles and another tiled and wood surround fireplace. The outside Gents' are well worth a visit and have a screened entrance, two rows of massive 100 year old urinals and two WCs with white glazed brick walls. Among the outbuildings are a malt room, part of the former brewery and three pig sties. The rarity of such unaltered modest public houses led to its being Grade II listed in January 1996.