Villa Tavern

West Midlands - Birmingham

A historic pub interior of national importance

Listed Status: II

307 Nechells Park Road
Birmingham, Nechells
B7 5PD

Tel: (0121) 326 7466

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: Aston

Station Distance: 600m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Aston) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

A red-brick and terracotta corner pub built for Ansells in 1924-5 to designs by Matthew J Butcher. The public bar occupies the angle of the site and retains its counter and bar-back, the latter with round arches an mirror glass. Typical 1920s dado tiling decorates the lobby area between bar and club room. Behind the servery, the small smoke room is complete with fixed seating, bell-pushes and old fireplace (but new bar counter). Some original seating clings on in the club room. The sign outside saying 'Built 1897' is simply wrong!

A red brick and terracotta corner pub built in 1924-5 for Ansells Brewery by the Birmingham architect, Matthew J. Butcher. He had been responsible before the First World War for alterations to the previous pub on the site, which suffered a fire. The replacement is relatively plain outside and now stands alone; the terraced housing around it having been demolished. The interior retains much of the original work in three rooms; the off sales is now a kitchen. The public bar occupies the angle of the site and retains its counter and bar-back with round arches and mirror glass, good vestibule entrance; also good ceiling decoration. The lobby area between the bar and club room has very typical 1920s tiling. Behind the servery lies a small smoke room complete with fixed seating, bell-pushes, fireplace and ceiling decoration; the counter, however, is modern. The third 'Club Room' is accessed via a passage with inter-war tiled dado and retains some original seating. The original outside toilets remain, now accessed via a covered walkway. Unusually, there are letters on the door, rather than numbers which are a requirement of the licensing magistrates. Beware the sign outside saying 'Built 1897' - simply not true!

Read More