We’re excited to introduce our newly revamped website designed to enhance your journey through the world of beer, cider, perry and historic pub interiors. Try the new site at https://www1.camra.org.uk/heritage-pubs. We recommend bookmarking this link.


Pub Heritage Group have recently carried out a regrading of Real Heritage Pubs - click here for full details

West Midlands - Birmingham

Three star - A pub interior of outstanding national historic importance

This pub is currently closed (since 13/08/2022)

Listed Status: II

New Canal Street
Birmingham, Digbeth
B5 5LG

Tel: (0121) 643 4960

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/woodmanbrum

Real Ale: Yes

Real Cider: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Nearby Station: Birmingham Moor Street

Station Distance: 550m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Birmingham Moor Street) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub


Currently closed -  long-term leaseholder departed after struggling for trade due to HS2 works nearby. No current indication whether freeholders intend to bring in new leaseholders.

Reopened in 2013 after restoration by sympathetic new owners. Built in 1896-7 for Ansells' Brewery, this is one of the finest of the many Birmingham tiled and terracotta pubs designed by James & Lister Lea. It stood, for many years, unloved in an urban wasteland but recent developments around it helped secure its future. The main bar, now one room, but once two split by a partition, is dominated by the splendid bar counter and even grander bar-back. The room has much excellent Minton tiling. To the right is a small drinking corridor, also sumptuously tiled. An angled door leads to the true marvel which is the smoke room, with more glorious wall tiling, a lovely marble fireplace, an old mirror set into the tiles, bench seating all round and a large hatch to the bar with glazed panel above. Returning to the main bar, and ahead of the corner entrance, a snug occupies what had been a plain back room, brought into pub use at a later date.