A historic pub interior of national importance
Listed Status: II12 Green Street
Tel: (01225) 448259
Real Ale: Yes
Real Cider: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Bath Spa
Station Distance: 700m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Bath Spa) and Bus Stop
View on: Whatpub
The building here is 18th-century but was extended backwards in 1926 and refurbished in a pleasingly restrained fashion by local architect, W.A.Williams, who also designed the shop-like frontage. The plan is one regularly found in the north of the country but rare in the south. Rooms are each side of the servery which has, in front of it, a drinking lobby acting as the public bar. All these spaces are panelled and have herringbone wood-block floors (carpeted at the front). The small lounge left of the entrance has service via a doorway to the servery - there is a similar arrangement in the smoke room at the back. All doors still bear the numbers used to identify the rooms for licensing purposes (‘1’ on the lounge door, ‘2’ on the front bar, ‘3’ on the smoke room and ‘4’ on the cellar door). The gents’, down eleven steps, retains its 1926 urinals.
Built c1770 and part of a Georgian terrace in the centre of Bath, a World Heritage Site. It was refurbished in a very restrained way and extended to the rear in 1926 by local architect, W.A. Williams, and retains a complete ensemble of good-quality panelling in the two rooms and the drinking lobby in front of the servery. The shop-like frontage was added as part of the 1926 changes and the entrance passageway has fielded panelled walls and a parquet floor. All the doors still bear the numbers that were used to identify the rooms for licensing purposes. To the left a latch door with brass plaque and the figure '1' leads into the very small lounge at the front of the pub. It has completely wood panelled walls with fixed seating along the front window side and a small glazed brick fireplace. Service is through a doorway to the side of the servery. Note the latch door with the figure '4' on it that leads to the cellar.
Front the entrance passageway a door with the figure ‘2’ on it leads into the main small public bar in the middle of the pub. It also has more fielded panelled walls, a similar panelled bar counter front, parquet floor, modest skylight, glazed small brick and wood surround fireplace with old simple gas fire and a shelf above and just a couple of bar stools so stand up drinking is the norm here. Doors with leaded glass in the top of them at the rear lead to the toilets – the ladies on the right and on the left down 11 steep stone steps is the gents’, which retains its 1926 urinals with glazed red brick walls and quarry tiled floor.
From the public bar a latch door with two leaded panels in the top, the figure '3' and a 'Smoke Room' on brass plaque leads to the rear room which also has a parquet floor. This small room also has fielded panelling on all the walls with bench seating down both sides, a 1930's brick fireplace in the wood panelling and service from a doorway to the side of the servery. For a small city centre pub to have retained its three small rooms unchanged since 1926 is quite remarkable.