A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: II65 Gloucester Avenue
Tel: (020) 7722 0950
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
Nearby Station: Kentish Town
Station Distance: 1350m
View on: Whatpub
Built circa 1845-50 for Calvert Brewers (Then Hoare & Co and Charrington). Three storey brown stock brick with stucco ground storey. Bar counter in the main room is old, canted forward, and possibly original; fielded panelling on the walls to dado level and surrounding the windows - all has been stripped of varnish. A small section of the bar back on the corner is old, as is the serving counter beneath it. A small room is on the left reached via a doorway, with its own small bar counter that is not canted. Another small room is at the back behind the servery, with a small service hatch to the servery.
Built circa 1845-50 for Calvert Brewers (Then Hoare & Co and Charrington). Three storey brown stock brick with stucco ground storey and dressings. Frontage on both Princess Road and Gloucester Avenue probably later 19th century.
The main bar area is now a single room with two doors to the street. Bar counter in this room is old, and possibly original, with scrollwork atop the vertical supports, and canted forward. There is fielded panelling to dado level, and surrounding the windows. The counter front and all the panelling has been stripped of paint and varnish. The bar back is mainly modern, but a small three-bay section on the corner angle is old. It has a relatively modern clock in the centre near the top, and any glazing in the bays has been lost to, or is obscured by, chalkboards. The serving counter beneath this section of the bar back is also old.
A second much smaller room is reached via a doorway (no door) on the left, in a single storey adjunct to the main building, and is too narrow to have been a billiards room. It has its own, now unused, door to the street, and its own small bar counter that is not canted except for an end piece by the door separated from the rest of the counter by the staff access hatch. The scrollwork on this counter is slightly different in design to that in the main room so looks like modern work carefully created to match the main bar one. At the back and to the right of this room is a third room behind the servery. This room is very plain and may have been brought into pub use at some stage, but does have a small serving hatch to the servery.