A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II29 Railway Place
OS ref: TL333129
Tel: (01992) 582048
Real Ale: Yes
Nearby Station: Hertford East
Station Distance: 250m
Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Hertford East)
View on: Whatpub
Built as a railway hotel in 1843 and not greatly changed since a 1940s refurbishment. The saloon on the left has a fielded panelled dado and old fixed seating round bay windows. The counter and bar-back are from the refurbishment (the former with panels attached in the 1970s), as is the brick fireplace. On the right is the 'Tap' with a sloping 1940s counter and a bar-back probably from the same period, two more brick fireplaces, fixed seating and panelled dado. This room was extended in the 1970s and it may be that the panelling dates to that time.
Built as a hotel in 1843 by the Eastern Counties Railway it was purchased by Mc Mullens in 1903 and refurbished in the 1940s (says Historic England). It is little changed since then.
Two-storey of yellow stock brick with a central loggia entrance. Inside you can see where there was a off sales originally. The left hand door leads to the saloon with carpet, fielded panelled dado with bell pushes and old fixed seating around the bay window. The bar counter dates from the 1940s with more modern panels attached in the 1970s. The bar back is the 1940s one with mirrored panels and only one fridge replacing some lower shelving; and there is a 1940s brick fireplace in a wood surround. Note the model railway above the exterior window.
Door on the right leads to the ‘Tap’ with carpet. There is a sloping towards you 1940s bar counter with vertical panelling and the bar back also looks 1940s. There are two 1940s brick fireplaces, fixed seating on the right / street side and a vertically panelled dado.
In the late 1970s the room was extended so there is a wide gap to an area with carpet and more vertically panelled dado so maybe all panelling is modern.