A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: II18 Goodramgate
Compact, Tudor-style interior of three small rooms off a staggered, central corridor with hatch – the result of a 1934 reconstruction by its local brewer-owners of that time, John J Hunt & Co. (It was never, contrary to the present signage outside, a “17th Century Inn”). In a commendable move by present owners Punch Taverns in 2010, CAMRA's advice was sought and major refurbishment plans were modified to preserve most of the old Thirties fabric and layout. Especially admirable was the re-introduction of fitted seating in the front snug, replicating the originals removed by a previous licensee. A wide opening created behind the servery, however, has lessened the sense of separation of the old public bar.
Three-storey timber-frame building dating back to the 15th century and was subject to a 1934 restoration by local brewer-owners, John J Hunt & Co (whose brewery, demolished in 1972, was in nearby Aldwark). This was Hunt’s only city centre house to receive major investment between the Wars and its floor-plan of three small rooms off a staggered, central corridor with hatch remains largely intact. The ground floor front of herringbone brick on stone plinth dates from 1934. The serveries, though, have undergone some later adaptation while the snug was stripped of all its bench seating in 2005.
The front left ‘Oak Room’ has a door with leaded glazed panel in the top, terrazzo floor, 1930s Tudor arch wood surround fireplace, original fixed seating in two sections, fielded panelling counter looks original, good bar back (old / age?), carving on top, glass fronted cabinet, till drawer under main shelf looks 1930s.
In the parquet floor passage from the front door to rear the inner door has 1930s leaded panel and a door to servery has fixed two part window and ledge which originally served the small front right room; the old dado panelling has been painted gastro grey in recent times.
Front right small snug has a parquet floor, the fireplace is possibly the 1930s wood surround with brick interior one (modern?) and fixed seating is a 2005 replacement for the original taken out prior to requesting planning permission.
Rear left small ‘Lounge’ has a parquet floor, the small curved bar counter dates from the 1950s and probably replaced a hatch, fielded panelled fireplace painted purple looks 1930s one, two sections of 1930s fixed seating – good but new / old? bar back with what looks like an old carving at the top, display cabinet on the left of the counter (age?). In the servery the gap between the bar and the lounge was until c.2010 a doorway sized one and has been much widened. There is a doorway to the conservatory-style small extension at the rear on a higher level.
On first floor, elements of timber-frame are visible in front small function / meeting rooms.