A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed24 Roscoe Street
This delightful small, side-street pub majors on real ales and cider, and is a huge and revealing contrast to the mighty Philharmonic just up the hill. It has been run by the Joyce/Ross family for over thirty years and consists mostly of an inter-war refit. In typical northern fashion, there are three rooms surrounding the drinking lobby which forms the lively heart of the pub. Fixed seating remains from the refit, albeit re-upholstered, and there are also bell-pushes in the rear snug. The doors to the three rooms each have attractive inter-war glazed and leaded panels (as do the double doors from the street entrance). In the back room is a moderately ornate plaster ceiling The pub is named after a great Liverpudlian, William Roscoe (1753-1831), poet, historian and anti-slavery campaigner.
Back-street pub that has been run by the same family for over 30 years, and which retains its four tiny room layout following a 1930s refit. It is undoubtedly the best example in Merseyside of how a small pub could be divided up into a series of tiny drinking areas. The core of the pub is a drinking lobby off which other rooms radiate. The front snug is created by a 1930s part leaded glass partition with two doors – one from the porch, and one from the lobby bar. Sadly the inter-war dado tiles in both these rooms were covered over by new panelling in 2006, when fixed seating in the front snug was removed and the glass shelf around the lobby and front snug moved.
The front right small room retains 1930s fixed seating, albeit re-upholstered, bell-pushes and a 1930s fire surround with new brick fireplace. The rear snug with hatch service also has original fixed seating that has been re-upholstered, and bell-pushes in a part mirrored panel above but the fireplace is probably modern. The bar fittings date from 2006 and replace ones which dated from 1960s/1970s. A new dumb waiter has been installed in the back bar.