Turks Head

Nottinghamshire - Retford

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

39 Grove Street
Retford
DN22 6LA

Tel: (01777) 702742

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/1241181552615781

Real Ale: Yes

Nearby Station: Retford

Station Distance: 1200m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Retford) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

This 1936 rebuild, with 'Brewers' Tudor' first floor and coaching arch on the left, retains many original fittings but its three rooms and off-sales have been knocked together. The walls throughout the pub have oak fielded panelling to picture-frame height and at the front are two original fireplaces - note the Turk's head symbols on the copper canopies. The counter is original, with more fielded panelling, as is the bar back but the servery may have been adroitly altered to serve the joined-up front rooms. The rear area now acts as a pool room with parquet floor, more original fixed seating and service bells above the fireplace. The rare pub game of ring the bull is played here.

Rebuilt 1936 of stone with Brewers Tudor first floor and a coaching arch on the left – an ex Wards of Sheffield pub. It retains most of its original 1930s fittings but the original three small rooms and an off sales have been joined together. Front door lobby has inner doors to Smoke Room left and Public Bar right but the partition that separated them removed. A door on the right hand side of the building leads to a lobby with 1930s tiling on the dado and the original inner door looks like it led to a still remaining off sales hatch in the servery. Throughout the pub then walls have oak fielded panelling to picture-frame height. At the front on both the left and right are two original wood surround with copper interiors fireplaces – note the Turk's head symbol on the copper canopy. There are baffles at the end of the original fixed seating in both parts. The counter is the original fielded panelling one as is the bar back fitting but the servery may have been cleverly altered to serve the conjoined front rooms, but you can't see the join.

The rear area now acts as a pool room with a parquet floor, an original wood surround but possibly 1960s copper interior with two service bells above, more original fixed seating but in the wall on the left is a gap in the wall (was originally a sliding screen?) that is now used for a food servery. The rare pub game of Ring the Bull is played here.

Full Description