A historic pub interior of regional importance
This pub is currently closed (since 10/01/2020)
Listed Status: Not listed139 Station Road
Rebuilt in 1934 with a mock-Tudor exterior, the Anchor was barely changed until 2009, when the front rooms were combined; however, there are still many original fittings. The small public bar has a good original copper-topped bar counter, herringbone tiled floor, old fireplace and fixed seating and a bar back comprising just a few shelves. Removal of the wall between this room and the lounge saw two small sections of fixed seating disappear and the front right door fall out of use. A tiled passage at the rear leads to a splendidly intact gents'. Another small room at the back is served by a hatch and retains its parquet floor and wooden fireplace surround, albeit with an unfortunate 'Victorian' fireplace within. The off-sales is no longer in use but at least intact.
Rebuilt 1934, one of three pubs by Worthington Brewery just after they had taken over Wells, the local brewery, around 1924. It has a mock Tudor exterior and was barely changed until 2009 when the front two rooms were combined but it still retains lots of original fittings. The front door leads to a small public bar with good original bar counter with a copper top, herringbone tiled floor, original tiled and wood surround fireplace and fixed seating with a baffle. The bar back is just a few shelves and looks original and also has a copper top at counter level (possibly added in c.1960?). The wall between the public bar and lounge on the right was removed in 2009 which saw two small sections of fixed seating removed.
The right room, now an area, has a parquet floor, original fireplace and fixed seating and the original serving hatch remains with a copper shelf. A herringbone tiled passage at the rear leads to an intact gents on the right with four Adamant urinals, dado wall and floor tiling, and ‘Gents’ white glass panel in the door. At the rear is another small room also served by a hatch and retaining its parquet floor, original 1930s wood surround which has an unfortunate Victorian-style fireplace in it. Even the off-sales remains situated on the left side with a hatch and Formica shelf from c.1960, but no longer in use.