Bird in Hand

Staffordshire - Leek

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

Listed Status: II

17 Market Place
Leek
ST13 5HJ

OS ref: SJ983565

Tel: (01538) 386819

Real Ale: Yes

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

An impressive, market place pub rebuilt in 1889 by local architects William Sugden & Son, also responsible for Leek's Nicholson Institute. To the left of the porch, with its mosaic floor, is the public bar with splendid carved and mirrored bar back and carved oak counter (with new top). On the right, the lounge has been combined with the lobby area around the modern counter but the fixed seating in the bay window and delicate wall panelling are original. Rear-right, a small snug is used mainly for darts. A number of coloured and leaded glass windows add further interest to the interior.

Located on a corner of Leek's market place, this is an impressive pub rebuilt 1889 by local architects William Sugden & Son who were also responsible for designing the Nicholson Institute and several other notable buildings in the town. The exterior features an ashlar ground floor and mock timber framing above with dormer windows. Inside, it retains its three-room layout, a mosaic floor in the porch and a number of coloured and leaded glass windows. The small bar on the left has a splendid carved and mirrored bar-back and a carved oak bar counter front - probably both original but the counter has a new top. The lounge on the right has been combined with the lobby area around the modern counter, but the fixed seating in the bay window is original, and has delicate panelling above. Rear-right is a small snug used for darts, with little furniture. The outside toilets are now covered-in.

Read More