Rock Bar

Northern Ireland - Falls

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: B2

491 Falls Road
Falls
BT12 6DE

Tel: (028) 9032 3741

View on: Whatpub

Built in 1901 by entrepreneur Frank O’Neill and closely resembling the Crown and the Fort in the way it was fitted out. There are five snugs (one still has a door) facing the servery across an area of open, terrazzo flooring. There is evidence that there was a sixth at one time. The counter is original but the bar-back is a replacement. The old one was a casualty of the Troubles like other parts of the pub (e.g. note much new woodwork in the snugs, and the damage on the corner of the building caused by a rocket). The upper parts of the building are supported by three fine mirror-faced columns.

Built in 1901 by entrepreneur Frank O’Neill and closely resembling the Crown and the Fort in the way it was fitted out. There are five snugs (one still has a door) facing the servery across an area of open, terrazzo flooring. There is evidence that there was a sixth at one time. The counter is original but the bar-back is a replacement. The old one was a casualty of the Troubles like other parts of the pub (e.g. note much new woodwork in the snugs, and the damage on the corner of the building caused by a rocket). The upper parts of the building are supported by three fine mirror-faced columns.

The other best remaining examples of snugs in Northern Ireland are at the Crown, Belfast, Northern Ireland; Ronnie Drew's, Belfast, Northern Ireland; Mandeville Arms, Portadown; Fort Bar, West Belfast; Blakes of the Hollow, Enniskillen and the rare survivor Carraghers, Camlough, Co. Armagh being a small village pub.

Read More