Join our mailing list:

A pub with a nationally important historic interior

This pub is taken from the national inventory of historic pub interiors, CAMRA's pioneering effort to identify and help protect the most important historic pub interiors in the country.

KINGDOM OF FIFE - Kincardine, Railway Tavern

An historic pub interior of national importance

16 Forth Street, Kincardine, FK10 4LX

Website:

Listed Status: Grade C

Listed Building Reference: 51130

Listing Date: 2008

View this pub in WhatPub for full details of this pub's facilities

At the end of a row of cottages, this small, friendly pub is an amazing survivor. 200 years ago it is thought to have served drovers bringing their livestock south to market. Until the coming of the railway in 1893, it was called the Ferry, which related to a crossing on the Forth about 100 yards away, taking people across to Higgins Neuk. The lettering above the door – ‘J Dobie Licensee’ – is the only outward sign that this is a pub. It refers to Janet Dobie, the mother of Ronnie Dobie, the present, fourth-generation owner. Three rooms are in public use (a fourth is now a store), all very simply appointed. Two of them have working bell-pushes connected to an annunciator box in the corridor. Here also are the remnants, in the ceiling, of what are said to be hooks from which drovers slung their hammocks. On the left is the public bar, one of the smallest in Scotland: the seating consists of metal framed seats originally constructed by Alexanders, bus builders of Falkirk. Listed in 2008 as a result of survey work by CAMRA.

Railway Tavern, Kincardine
Public Bar