Join our mailing list:
A pub with a nationally important historic interior
This pub is taken from the national inventory of historic pub interiors, CAMRA's pioneering effort to identify and help protect the most important historic pub interiors in the country.
MERSEYSIDE - Liverpool, City Centre, Peter Kavanagh's
An historic pub interior of national importance
2-6 Egerton Street, Liverpool, L8 7LY
Directions: off Catharine Street.
Tel: (0151) 709 3443
Opening Hours: 12-midnight; 12-1am Fri & Sat
Real Ale & Cider: Real Ale
Public Transport: Near Bus Stop
Listed Status: Grade II
List Entry Number: 1206659
Listing Date: 1985
This idiosyncratic interior was fitted out in 1929 by Peter Kavanagh, licensee from 1897 to 1950. The historic core has the common northern layout of front and rear rooms with a drinking lobby/servery in between (cf. the Hare & Hounds, Manchester and Swan with Two Necks. Both rooms have fixed seating, above which are large murals commissioned by Kavanagh from Scottish artist Eric Robinson: at the front are scenes from Dickens and at the rear ones from Hogarth. There is also much attractive stained glass made by artist William English, with seafaring themes in the ‘Dickens Room’ and a miscellaneous selection in the ‘Hogarth’. Kavanagh also introduced jokey woodwork, including four panels with scenes set in what seems to be the 16th century, and faces on the bench ends caricaturing Peter K. himself. He was an inventor, for example, of the highly distinctive tables with grilles covering bowls for water to extinguish cigarette ends. The pub was extended in 1964 with a new lounge and again in 1977, taking in 6 Egerton Street. Formerly the Grapes, it was renamed in 1978 in honour of the remarkable Mr Kavanagh in 1978.