White Horse

North-East Wales - Cilcain

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

Ffordd Y Llan
Cilcain
CH7 5NN

OS ref: SJ177651

Tel: (01352) 740142

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

Public Transport: Near Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

Multi-roomed old village pub which has expanded into the cottage next door. In around 1940 it was purchased and refitted out of Irish Sweepstake winnings and still retains the fittings from a refurbishment of that date. This is a pub that serves food and has no jukebox, pool table or children. On the right the door with '1' on the inside leads to a small bar with quarry-tiled floor, this curved counter and an inglenook style fireplace which were all installed in c.1940.Through an arch to the right of the bar is a quarry-tiled small room with c.1940 brick fireplace, and an antique settle, To the rear of this room is a tiny room with a grandfather clock and piano that is served from a small hatch to the back of the bar. From a separate entrance on the left is another bar created out of two small rooms of a cottage with a quarry-tiled floor, bar fittings and a brick fireplace from c.1940. The only changes are the adding of a copper bar top possibly in the 1960s; and in the early 1980s an extension was added to the rear of the right side adding a further room. At this time the bar counter was extended slightly to the right by adding an extra piece to the end near the fireplace.

Multi-roomed old village pub which has expanded into the cottage next door. In around 1940 it was purchased and refitted out of Irish Sweepstake winnings and still retains the fittings from a refurbishment of that date. This is a pub that serves food and has no jukebox, pool table or children. On the right the door with '1' on the inside leads to a small bar with quarry-tiled floor, this curved counter and an inglenook style fireplace which were all installed in c.1940.Through an arch to the right of the bar is a quarry-tiled small room with c.1940 brick fireplace, and an antique settle, To the rear of this room is a tiny room with a grandfather clock and piano that is served from a small hatch to the back of the bar. From a separate entrance on the left is another bar created out of two small rooms of a cottage with a quarry-tiled floor, bar fittings and a brick fireplace from c.1940. The only changes are the adding of a copper bar top possibly in the 1960s; and in the early 1980s an extension was added to the rear of the right side adding a further room. At this time the bar counter was extended slightly to the right by adding an extra piece to the end near the fireplace.

Read More