A historic pub interior of regional importance
This pub is currently closed (since 31/12/2009)
b>UPDATE April 2017: Closed in 2010 following the sudden death of the Landlord. Future unknown.Closed in 2010 following the unexpected death of the lessee. Future unknown.
Listed Status: II26 New Market Street
Tel: (01291) 672931
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
View on: Whatpub
Built in 1839 this is an example of how a pub when subject to sympathetic change can still retain an unspoilt feel. Popular with diners, the pub rooms were originally the two small ones on the right-hand side of the building beyond the fine shop front. The front door historically led to a passage to the rear of the building. The front right room was the bar and at the rear was a separate snug. The rear right area has markings on the ceiling which indicate the position of an antique settle that created a passage down the rear left side. Nowadays you will find an old bar counter placed across the passage in c.1960 and a bar back created behind it. The left bar was formerly two domestic rooms hence the range fireplace in the rear room indicating it was the kitchen in the past. The layout and fittings therefore only date back to the 1960s but the pub feels as if it has not changed for many more years. Note the one old penny billiard chalk dispenser on the front right mantelshelf.