Llanover Arms

Glamorgan - Pontypridd

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

Bridge Street
Pontypridd
CF37 4PE

Tel: (01443) 403215

Real ale & Cider: Real Ale

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Pontypridd) and Bus Stop

View on: Whatpub

A traditional three-roomed drinkers’ pub with a fine Victorian bar back fitting in the public bar and hatch service to another room. The basic lino tiled public bar has an interestingly detailed Victorian bar back, an attractive Edwardian Bass mirror and some ancient bench seating. Note the cast-iron tables inscribed 'Gaskells Barfitter Cardiff.' The bar counter was installed in the mid 1970s. Walk along the panelled corridor through the middle of the pub and on the rear right the L-shaped back room is served from a hatch with a sliding sash window and red Formica shelf; also from the stable door to the back of the bar. The brick fireplace may possibly date from the inter-war years. Above it is a 19th. century 'Dunville's Whisky' mirror; and a probably 1920s ‘Worthington’ mirror. The third room with a modern floor, sadly, lost its wall in the early 1980s so is opened-up to the corridor. Outside gents with all-over terrazzo up to waist height. Dating from c.1790, the pub has an old mounting block on the right hand side; at the rear in the former barn is a steak house restaurant with an upstairs bar, which is run as a separate business.

Traditional three-roomed drinkers’ pub with a fine Victorian bar back fitting in the public bar and hatch service to another room. The basic lino tiled public bar has an interestingly detailed Victorian bar back, an attractive Edwardian Bass mirror and some ancient bench seating. Note the cast-iron tables inscribed 'Gaskells Barfitter Cardiff'; however the bar counter was installed in the mid 1970s. Walk along the panelled corridor through the middle of the pub and on the rear right the L-shaped back room is served from a hatch with a sliding sash window and red Formica shelf; also from the stable door to the back of the bar. The brick fireplace may possibly date from the inter-war years and above it is an over 100-year-old 'Dunville's Whisky' mirror; and a probably 1920s ‘Worthington’ mirror. The third room with a modern floor has, sadly, lost its wall in the early 1980s so is opened-up to the corridor. Outside gents with all-over terrazzo up to waist height. Dating from c.1790, the pub has an old mounting block on the right hand side; at the rear in the former barn is a steak house restaurant with an upstairs bar, which is run as a separate business and open from 7 to 12 Thu. (1 Fri., Sat., 12 Sun.). Parking in the pubs car park for non-customers requires a £2 permit.

Read More