Capel Hotel

Glamorgan - Gilfach Fargoed

A historic pub interior of regional importance

Listed Status: Not listed

Park Place
Gilfach Fargoed
CF81 8LW

Tel: (01443) 566462

Real Ale: Yes

Nearby Station: Gilfach Fargoed

Station Distance: 150m

Public Transport: Near Railway Station (Gilfach Fargoed) and Bus Stop

Bus: Yes

View on: Whatpub

This traditional local built in 1912 of red brick is a rare example of a little-altered multi-room pub. Built by Philips Brewery of Newport, it is named after John Capel Hanbury, a local landowner. The original layout remains apart from the amalgamation of the Jug & Bottle with the public bar by the removal of a partition. Note the original etched glass panel in the door. The large public bar retains its original solid carved counter (shortened by some 7 feet on the left to enable access to the rear room), splendid mirrored bar-back with a still-working dumb waiter and a non-working gas light. Several windows survive recording varied room names including Commercial Room, which has a hatch/bar to the rear with intact sash windows; and Buffet Bar, which has good fixed seating but a modern counter. Beyond a partition wall on the far left is a terrazzo-floored passage: note the ornate brass door handles. The magnificent old weighing machine originally came from a railway station and has in the past been used to weigh prize-fighters. Skittles is played in an upstairs room.

This traditional local built in 1912 of red brick is a rare example of a little-altered multi-room pub. Built by Philips Brewery of Newport it is named after John Capel Hanbury, a local landowner. The original layout remains apart from the amalgamation of the Jug & Bottle with the public bar by the removal of a partition, however, the etched glass panel in the door remains. The large public bar retains its original solid carved counter, shortened by some 7 feet on the left to enable access to the rear room, and splendid mirrored bar-back with a still working dumb waiter. Several windows survive recording varied room names including Commercial Room, which has a hatch/bar to the rear with intact sash windows; and Buffet Bar, which has good fixed seating but a modern counter. Beyond a partition wall on the far left is a terrazzo floor passage – note the ornate brass door handles. The magnificent old weighing machine originally came from a railway station and has in the past been used to weigh prize-fighters. There is a non-working gas light in the public bar. Skittles is played in an upstairs room.

Full Description