Bottle Inn

Dorset - Marshwood

A historic pub interior of some regional importance

This pub is currently closed (since 01/06/2021)

Listed Status: II


Marshwood
DT6 5QJ

OS ref: SY376997

Tel: (01297) 678103

Real Ale: Yes

Lunchtime Meals: Yes

Evening Meals: Yes

View on: Whatpub

An 18th-century thatched and rendered village pub. The main bar has a counter from 1940 and a very old fireplace with Dorset oven – note the rare old smoker in the ceiling, blocked up in 1963. The bar-back dates from that year which is also when the room on the right was converted from private quarters; the fittings are also from this time.. The large extension, rear right, followed in the 1980s. The pub hosts the World Nettle Eating Championships in July each year.

18th century thatched and rendered village pub. Just inside the front door is the former off-sales where old concrete floor recently replaced by slate-like tiles has an old counter and left hatch was the off-sales and the right hand hatch was cut out of the solid wall in possibly the 1960s. On the left the main bar the counter dates from 1940 when it was probably added for the first time and has a bar front of a 1930s sloping-style. This room has a large inglenook stone fireplace with the hearth having an oven at the base and a log fire. Has a Dorset Oven where you place ashes in the lower tray so heats above and below. Note the old smoker in the ceiling just in front of the fireplace which was blocked-up in 1963 and believed to be one of only three left in pubs in the whole country. New slate-like tiles replaced old tiles in 2012. The bar back is from c.1963 with mirror mosaic and is placed in front of the original staircase upstairs.

The room on the right was the private living room and converted into a bar in c.1963 with a plain counter front - the counter was also created by cutting out a hole in the dividing wall. Has a Victorian cast iron and wood surround fireplace. A large extension on the rear right in the 1980s added another bar and skittle alley/function room beyond. Outside gents and ladies on the left still there but not in use. The semi-derelict single-storey building on the left was built in the 1940s and has been used as a school and a shop. Hosts the World Nettle Eating Championship. Marginal for good original layout, two old counters and some 1963 fittings.

Read More