A historic pub interior of regional importance
Listed Status: Not listed
Tel: (01308) 485328
Real Ale: Yes
Lunchtime Meals: Yes
Evening Meals: Yes
View on: Whatpub
Built in 1906 of brick and stone. The front door leads to a passage with panelled floor and ceiling and a very old double-hinged door to the servery which possibly operated as an off-sales and currently serves customers in the room on the left. This room has old varnished full-height panelling on the walls and ceiling and is now entered through a gap close to the front door – the entrance was further down the passage until recently. A door on the right accesses the public bar where two rooms were combined into one around 1960. It has a plain wood floor, a bar counter that looks earlier in style (melamine work behind) with thatch above it, floor-to-ceiling panelling around most of the room and a 1960s stone fireplace. The upper bar-back fitting is probably from around.1960; note the small till drawer suspended from the bottom of the main shelf. A further fully wood-panelled room is entered from the public bar through a short passage opposite the servery; this was being fitted out as a games room at the time of writing (April 2019) and will be accessed by the original (currently shut) front door.
Built 1906 of brick and stone. The front door leads to a passage with panelled floor and ceiling and a split door to the back of the servery - note the old double-hinged door which possibly operated as an off-sales and certainly serves customers in the room on the left, the entrance originally opposite the double-hinged door, but moved in recent times to the front using the cut out portion to fill the original space.
A door on the right leads to the public bar which looks like it was two small rooms in the past but one room since c.1960. It has a 1960s lino tiled floor, a bar counter that looks 1950s in style with melamine work behind (but probably fitted c1960) with thatch above it and glasses on hooks, floor to ceiling panelling around most of the room and in the rear section a 1960s stone fireplace. Upper bar back fitting might be from c.1960 - note the small till drawer suspended from the bottom of the shelves - fridges have replaced lower shelving.
At the end of the entrance passage a wide gap with curtains that can be drawn across it lead to a carpeted small room with floor to ceiling panelling and a panelled ceiling all of which probably dates from 1906 and is a mirror image to the far L/H room. There is a 1930s brick fireplace. To be a games room. The original R/H entrance is to be brought back in use.