Built as two cottages around 1800 of brick with thatched roof, this was a pub by 1901. The right-hand lounge area was the village shop until the 1960s and now accommodates the main entrance. The small bar counter is of no great age and the bench seating is recent. A doorway leads to the public bar (originally the main bar) where, again, the furnishings were acquired not long ago. Through a gap is the rear bar with red floor tiles, benches, tables and chairs of varying vintages and a Victorian cast-iron fireplace. The servery, which it shares with the public, has a counter in a distinct 1950s style and a bar-back with a mix of old and new shelving. The fourth room, rear left, was originally the kitchen with a fireplace and seating of more recent vintage. The building has no foundations or damp course so the dado match-boarding throughout was installed in 2000 to cover up and help prevent rising damp problems. Note the tiled mural commemorating the pub cricket tour of 1932.
Very much a country pub of brick and thatched roof (and porch) construction of c1800, originally two cottages, then a school before becoming a pub; certainly by 1901 when it was called the Maple Tree. The original entrance in the middle of the main building led to a living room on the left hand side (now the kitchen) with a kitchen to the rear left hand (now a pub room) whilst to the right hand was an entrance door (long since boarded up and now part of the wall) to the bar. There was a further room to the rear, now accessed by the very narrow gap by the bar (created by knocking a hole through the wall in 1960's), with a separate entrance at the rear. The right hand lounge area was the village shop (single storey with slate roof) until the mid 1960's when it was incorporated into the pub. This now forms the main entrance to the pub.
There are now four small rooms. Entrance through right hand lounge single storey former shop, with red tiled floor and access to bar, created in 1960's. The small bar counter is of no great age. In the 1970's furniture comprised old sofas from local houses but now has bench seating more recently acquired. Doorway to public (original main bar) with red and black tiles in diamond formation. Original brick open hearth fireplace. Seating utilises former church pews and wooden tables/chairs acquired within last 15 years. Servery much altered with some old shelving but most dating from 1980's. Real ales on stillage.
Through a gap to the rear bar with red floor tiles, a couple of old benches, table and chairs from various times. The small cast iron fireplace is Victorian. This small room shares with the front main bar a bar counter that was installed in c.1960. Fourth small room at the rear right, originally the kitchen, still has a latch door and has a brick fireplace that looks like it could date from the 1950s (and possibly replaced a range fireplace?). Fixed seating could be of similar date. The hole in the wall was created in 1960's (Whitbread tenure) to ensure all room space could be viewed. Outside toilets replaced in c1990 with the new block at the rear with adjoining corridor. There is an interesting tiled mural, created by Keith and Margaret Parker in 1990 recreating the Cuckoo Inn Cricket Tour of 1932, and features a period open top bus, characters in period dress, and the notation 'sponsored by Henry Wadworth's Old Brown Ale'. The dado match-boarding throughout was installed in 2000/01 to cover up, and help prevent, rising damp. The building has no foundations or damp course, and the provision of panelling both covers up, and helps prevent, the problem.