A historic pub interior of some regional importance
Listed Status: Not listedThe Common
Old stone built village pub with three rooms. Of most interest here is the small Copper Lounge Bar which is accessed from the entrance on the left with a quarry tiled porch. It is so named as in c.1959 the curved bar counter front was covered in copper panels (apart from a strip of carpet at the base), copper top added, copper hood added to the old stone fireplace (which has a glazed brick interior) and all the tables have copper tops. Unusually the handpumps are on the bar back, which was replaced in c.2005 and ply panels were also added to the walls then. A doorway leads to the modern Restaurant at the rear which has a stone fireplace.
From the right hand door a red and black diamond quarry tiled floor passage with dado panelling painted cream goes front to back. Opened-up off the passage to the right is the pool room with full height tongue 'n' groove walls with bare wall benches but has lost its fireplace. Archway to the left into the Public Bar which was two rooms in the past - there are signs of a fireplace on the left but has been like this since at least the 1950s. The room has a large old stone fireplace with copper hood, the bar front dates from c.1959, old bare wood bench seating, but the bar back was replaced in c.2005.
Sash windows along the front still have wooden box shutters. At the rear is a bowling green owned by Wadworths and leased to the bowling club and also a Scout Hut.